I was at a great lecture this morning by Nikki McWilliams. She talked about her business of designing and making gorgeous cushions. She shared tips and advice on how she started off after graduating at DJCAD by making and selling little badges for £2 to selling hundreds of cushions every month in the UK and abroad.
I enjoyed listening to her professional but friendly style and thought her advice was informative, useful and inspiring.
The main business tips that I will take away from this lecture are:
- Keep networking – Online shouldn’t replace real life
- Twitter is a really useful tool for business contacts
- Sell your product at wholesale price to stockists rather than sale or return.
- Keep blog up to date with interesting things
- Offer a prizewinning competition to attract custom
- Get good photos – have cut out and styled images of your work
All useful and worth taking into consideration whilst still at DJCAD.
Nikki’s cushions are for sale in her online shop: http://www.nikkimcwilliams.bigcartel.com/
Here are my favourite cushions but go and have a look for yourself, you’lll not be disappointed!
Iced Ring Biscuit Cushion
Caramel Wafer Cushion
Jam Heart Biscuit Cushion
Follow her blog and enter her competition to win a lovely prize of tea, coffee and a jam heart cushion!